Minutes of Chazy Public Library Trustees’ Meeting
Chazy Town Hall at 5 PM
The meeting was called to order at 5:30 p.m. by President Emily Castine. Present were Trustees George Brendler, Debby Powers, Tina Trombly and Angela Swan. Also present were Francie Fairchild, Library Director and Caroline Harding, president of the Friends of the Chazy Library.
Guest speaker Steven Englehart of Adirondack Architectural Heritage led a very informative session regarding options for protecting the historic architecture of the Hubbell building. Preservation easements, deed covenants and town zoning for historic structures were suggested as options. He is willing to act as an advisor to the Legal Aspects committee regarding the sale of the old Library building this fall/winter.
Review of Minutes of Meeting on 5/25/2011
Motion by Trustee Swan to accept the minutes as amended, second by Trustee Powers. Passed.
Treasurer's Report – Trustee Powers
Motion by Trustee Brendler to approve the May general fund report. Second by Trustee Trombly. Passed. Beginning balance was $17,039.47, ending balance $15,639.37
Motion by Trustee Trombly to accept the May renovation fund report. Second by Trustee Brendler. Passed. Beginning balance was $6,222.49, ending balance was $6,052.28. Grant for $79,205 coming soon.
Reserve balance: $50,664.29
Director's Report - Francie Fairchild, Library Director
1. Summer Reading Camp – Tuesday, July 12 to Thursday, July 14, 9-noon. Call library for details.
1. Bake sale will be held at Old Home Day. Town wide yard sales same weekend.
- We received a letter from Congresswoman Janet Duprey congratulating us on having been awarded the matching grant we requested. $79,205 will be coming soon, in two installments.
- The Town Board has voted to rescind our break on the utility bill. Future invoices will be for the full amount for both buildings.
1. Board members are reminded to use caution when dealing with the press and are encouraged to stay within their committee of expertise when being interviewed.
2. Linda Mary Todd, Director of the NYS Division of Library Development phoned to let us know she had been contacted by a Press-Republican staff member. Trustees are reminded to adhere to the CEF Library system chain of command when referring to sources of information: Board Trustees defer to the Board President who defers to CEF who then delegates to the proper state representative.
- Update on $14 million Construction Grant Program for 2011-2014: Funds may be matched 75% to our 25% next time. Phase II construction grant application has been initiated online. Final copy due 9/1.
- Workshop “Preparing an Annual Report to Your Community” and “Community Analysis Using Business Decision”, Friday June 24. Trustees Brendler and Castine will attend.
3. ADA Workshop on June 20: Trustee Castine attended, presented new guidelines for the consideration of the Project Manager.
- Status of 2010-2011 Phase I grant money match: Fund payout process has begun. E-mail from CEF today indicated we could expect the check within two weeks.
- S.4101 Farley/A. 113 Paulin 75-25 Matching Bill passed House and Senate. Awaiting Gov. signature. See above.
- Online grant registration for Phase II construction has been completed.
- CCRS Senior Project: Trustee Brendler approached CCRS about the possibility of a student building a garden shed for the new library as part of the mandatory Senior Project next year. Trustee Brendler, on behalf of the Board, indicated that we would be open to the idea.
- Adirondack Community Libraries may have a grant for technical upgrades/additions to local libraries. Online survey will be completed by Trustee Castine and Francie.
Project Manager’s Report
Fund-raising Team – Trustee Trombly and Trustee Swan
Theme for 2011 at Old Home Day booth will be “Nostalgia” featuring an old-time candy store with vintage games and contests on the half hour.
Pocket Change drive is underway at local businesses. Press release going out this week.
Grants Team – Trustee Castine
See above for construction grant reports.
Motion by Trustee Trombly to approve application for Mazda Education and Literacy grant. We are requesting $6500 to cover the cost of room dividers, a Smart Board and projector, a dedicated computer and printer, two chairs and a table in support of a job center and Literacy Volunteers tutoring area in the lower level of the library. Second by Trustee Powers. Passed.
Legal Aspects Team – Trustee Swan
Motion by Trustee Brendler to send a letter to the Hubbell family as well as the Town Board to gauge their level of interest in acquiring the Hubbell building within the next year.
On-site Construction Team – Trustee Brendler
Presentation of estimate for Phase II construction.
Discussion of exterior lighting issues.
Furnishings Committee-Trustee Castine
- Committee met June 20 with Roger Bodine and Jim Bennett to discuss cabinetry options. Report attached.
- Presentation of 3D drawings of main floor, courtesy of Tim Ryan.
Motion to Adjourn by Trustee Swan at 8:00
Next meeting: July 27 at 5:30 p.m., Town Hall, Chazy