Minutes of Chazy Public Library Trustees’ Meeting
Chazy Town Hall at 5 PM
The meeting was called to order at 5:30 p.m. by President Emily Castine. Present were Trustees George Brendler, Debby Powers, Tina Trombly and Angela Swan. Also present was Francie Fairchild, Library Director.
Review of Minutes of Meeting on 6/22/2011
Motion by Trustee Trombly to accept the minutes as amended, second by Trustee Powers. Passed.
Treasurer's Report – Trustee Powers
Motion by Trustee Swan to approve the June general fund report. Second by Trustee Trombly. Passed. Beginning balance was $15,639.37, ending balance $15,815.05
Motion by Trustee Brendler to accept the June renovation fund report. Second by Trustee Swan. Passed. Beginning balance was $6,052.28. Ending balance was $81,273.79 thanks to receipt of the first installment of the grant: $71,284.00
Reserve balance: $50,665.20.
Motion by Trustee Brendler to spend up to $300 on clearance books at the Border’s Going out of Business sale this week. Second by Trustee Swan. Passed.
Director's Report - Francie Fairchild, Library Director
1. New magazine rack has been received from Keene Valley Library. Thanks to Trustee Brendler for picking it up for us.
2. Customs and Border Protection has donated 5 more computers for our use.
3. Summer Reading Camp had 9 due to conflicting dates for soccer camp.
4. Summer Reading Program has 25 participants signed up.
5. Motion by Trustee Brendler to grant permission for Francie to order a barcode scanner, second by Trustee Swan. Passed.
Special Reports: Friends of the Library – Carolyn Harding, President
- Facebook report: We are on facebook in a very basic sense. Trustee Swan will work on making it a more dynamic presence.
- Chazy Music Theater will be sending a donation of $529 from their 50-50 raffle.
1. President Castine took a moment to thank talented individuals for their unique contributions to a “team of many talents, experiences and opinions.” Specific thanks went out to Francie for her time at the library, Caroline Harding for her excellent liaison work between the Trustees and Friends, Trustee Brendler for his “indefatigability” as our “Jack of all Trades,” Trustee Swan for her letter-writing expertise, Trustee Trombly for her successful fundraising efforts and Trustee Powers for her diligence in watching and protecting the coffers. Thanks also went out to Jim Bennett for his valuable work and advice on the furnishings committee.
- Motion by Trustee Trombly to purchase oak veneer end panels from Jim Bennett for $500. Second by Trustee Powers. Passed.
- Workshop “Preparing an Annual Report to Your Community” and “Community Analysis Using Business Decision”, Friday June 24. Trustees Brendler and Castine attended and came back with many new ideas for a report. Consensus to add the report to the annual schedule for March.
3. Adirondack Community Libraries Trust may have a grant for technical upgrades/additions to local libraries. Online survey completed by Trustee Castine and Francie
- Review of shelving estimates by Estey Shelving, Jim Quinn and Library Interiors of New Jersey. Motion by Trustee Brendler to accept the estimate by Library Interiors of New Jersey for purchase and installation of adjustable metal shelving. Second by Trustee Powers. Passed. Cost: $13,152.00
- Review of estimates for circulation desk cabinetry from Rodger Bodine, Jim Quinn and Gaylord Brothers. Motion by Trustee Trombly to accept estimate by Rodger Bodine, local contractor. Second by Trustee Powers. Passed. Cost: $3,350.00
- Discussion of proposed Financial Controls Policy. Motion by Trustee Brendler to accept policy as amended. Passed. Policy will be added to Trustee Handbook.
- We have received a gift certificate from Jim Bennett for $500 worth of mystery books to be added to our new library collection from Poisoned Pen Press.
- Motion by Trustee Powers to accept donation of 8 Chippendale-style chairs for the Trustee board room in the new library. Second by Trustee Trombly. Passed.
Project Manager’s Report
Fund-raising Team – Trustee Trombly and Trustee Swan
Theme for 2011 at Old Home Day booth will be “Nostalgia” featuring an old-time candy store with vintage games and contests on the half hour. We will also be displaying the 3D drawings of the new library interior.
Pocket Change drive is underway at local businesses. Press release going out this week.
Grants Team – Trustee Castine
Mazda Grant request for $6,500 has been submitted.
75-25 grant matching bill still awaiting Governor Cuomo’s signature.
Legal Aspects Team – Trustee Swan
Letters went out to the Hubbell family as well as the Town Board to gauge their level of interest in acquiring the Hubbell building within the next year.
On-site Construction Team – Trustee Brendler
Presentation of estimate for Phase II construction: $72,000
Motion by Trustee Swan to purchase traditional vs. LED lighting for the exterior. Second by Trustee Trombly. Passed.
Furnishings Committee-Trustee Castine
- Presentation of 3D drawings of main floor, courtesy of Tim Ryan.
- Activities Report has been provided to Board via e-mail
- Votes tonight on shelving and cabinetry mean we are on schedule to occupy the building by Christmas at the latest.
Motion to Adjourn by Trustee Swan at 7:35
Next meeting: August 24 at 5:30 p.m., Town Hall, Chazy